Wednesday, November 11, 2009

East Coast Medicine

There are certain diseases and problems that are more common in certain regions of the country. California is famous for foxtails. I've seen them in just about every place imaginable, including in the urethra of the penis of a 12 year old blocked cat (that was an unusual blocked cat case just to prove you never quite know what to expect even with something you see all the time).

In the Bay area I also saw a lot of snail bait toxicity, specifically metaldehyde toxicity. And quite a bit of hyperthermia (the only time we ever closed the doors to the emergency clinic was on a weekend where it stayed over 115F and we literally had no more room for bodies, dead or alive, pretty horrific).

Things on the East coast are a little different. For example, I'd never seen a dog with a face full of porcupine quills before I came here (the paws were covered too).

Today I went to an emergency medicine lunch lecture titled "The Perils Of Winter." The speaker covered hypothermia, ethylene glycol toxicity and house fire (for reasons I do not completely understand, house fires are more common in the winter).

I guess winter emergency medicine will be a whole new brand of medicine for me. I haven't seen an ethylene glycol toxicity in quite awhile, California had the good sense to mandate that manufacturers add a bittering agent to any product sold in the state. In fact, a similar proposal is currently on the table nationally, HR 615, but apparently only Republicans support it so far????? Here's another article I found on the subject, "With antifreeze, bitter is better." It seems crazy to me that such legislation has yet to be passed when ethylene glycol toxicity has killed children, not just pets, who ingested even tiny amounts of the sweet substance. When I have time maybe I'll write to my representative and voice my opinion on the matter. I encourage you to do the same if you are at all so inclined.

In other news, I've started block 2. Cell biology. Lots of my classmates are whining about this class but since I love basic science I am enjoying the material.

I'm still learning lots about cows, and other species, but not allowed to post any pictures.

And tonight I went to the low-income clinic again and saw some interesting cases but can't write about the details here. It is nerve-wracking seeing a patient with no one to follow you up. I feel like I must be missing something important every time I do a physical exam and can only hope that I'm not missing anything important.

And the rumor is that if the administration hasn't contacted you yet then you passed your exam and are not on academic probation. I don't totally believe it-- and I won't till I actually have my exam back, but every day that passes works in my favor and means it is more likely I was in the passing range.

1 comment:

  1. one of the reasons there are more fires in the winter is because people do things like trying to heat their houses with ovens, space heaters etc because they don't have money for heat.. re: your exams, I stand firmly behind what I said!!

    ReplyDelete