Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Night Before School

So my long summer vacation is over. Supposedly this is the last long summer vacation that I'll have before retirement. That sounds rather depressing, not that I don't like working.

I got to travel all over, from East coast to West, with a rare stopover in the Midwest. I did an externship in Madison, WI and really fell in love with the town and surrounding area. It is a lot like Ithaca but with a lot more going on!

The best part of summer, without a doubt, was having enough free time to read books of my own choice.

Here's most of what I read:
  • The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down-- abount the Hmong refugee experience in America and about how cultural differences impact medical care dramatically
  • Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote-- about his free-roaming dog in Wyoming. Amazing. My favorite book of the summer. This man seems to know how to get inside a dog's head.
  • Delivering Dr. Amelia-- about the therapy of an ob/gyn who makes a mistake that tears her apart and her long process to recover
  • Goatsong-- a light read about a couple who acquires goats and an interest in cheese later in life
  • Woodswoman-- about a woman who builds her own cabin in the Adirondacks and lives there year round-- a bit disappointing as she seems to skim the surface on many complex subjects and also uses antiquated language that I found offensive for referring to race
  • Passing Cain-- about raising boys so they are emotionally literate-- I never got to finish this as I left it with Eb and D
  • Food Matters by Mark Bittman-- again, I only read bits and pieces as I left this as a present for my mom but it was very intriguing and I plan to finish it someday!
  • The Birds Of Heaven by Peter Matthiesen-- about the plight of the world's 15 crane species-- a bit dense for me but I slogged through it in time to visit the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, WI
  • And I'm ending the summer by finishing off the trilogy of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the final book in this series-- which I began last fall!-- is The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. I would have never read this series except that my step-dad said that the main character reminded him of me. Hmmm...
It's an eclectic mix-- I had no list to prioritize from, I simply had the luxury and leisure time to pick up and read whatever was available and appealed to me in the moment. Previously, I read all of the Harry Potter series over winter break since it is the book of many of my younger classmates' generation and I thought it would help me better understand and relate to them... And over spring break I read The Secret Life Of Bees, one of the few fiction books I have read in the past years that I really liked.

So, tomorrow it is back to the pressure cooker of vet school. I'm already looking forward to winter break. Which isn't to say that I don't love learning, just not at the pace I've come to expect from vet school.

No comments:

Post a Comment