Friday, May 29, 2009

I've Arrived In New York

I'm here. I've made it to the other side. My new life begins today.

Right now I'm relaxing in Syracuse at EB's parents' house while en route to Ithaca.

Her parents are amazing-- they have a passion for nature, wildlife, native plants, bees, hummingbirds, butterflies, sustainable living, regenerative living, entymology and all things wonderful in my world. Here's a photo of the backyard-- there are many ponds, a recirculating stream, frogs, toads and they have a plot where they grow a significant amount of their own food. It's recognized both by the National Wildlife Federation as a certified backyard habitat and by Monarch Watch as a Monarch way station.




Simon is relieved to be out of his carrier after ten hours, mostly on planes. Thankfully, he and Lindy traveled remarkably well. I am pleased to discover that my cats are so portable. That certainly makes contemplating future summer jobs much easier.

After being cooped up inside all year, Simon just loved the screen porch-- all the smells, sounds and new sights.
The red-eye flight was not too bad. One nice thing about being petite is that I can curl up and sleep just about anywhere. Even though the flight was almost completely full, I was lucky enough to have the seat next to me empty and I slept well on the two seats in a semi-fetal position. After my years of emergency work, I honestly don't think there is anywhere I couldn't fall asleep, from the floor of the surgery suite to cement floors to wooden floors. So in the grand scheme of things this was quite comfortable by my standards.

And here I am in San Jose at the airport, waiting to take off. Me, my two cats, and my weighty tome on bat ecology:)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you have made it to the east coast and that you had a good stop at my parents' house! I agree with Simon, the screen porch is nice - I used to sleep there on a cot in the summers, and I remember waking up with the nice morning air and the mourning doves cooing. So how did you get the photo of yourself "sleeping" on the plane?

    ReplyDelete