Saturday, April 24, 2010

Beautiful, Lazy Saturday: Pileateds And Lucifer Falls

Today was one of the most beautiful days we have had all spring in Ithaca.

I had a nice breakfast of French toast and spicy buffalo sausage patties with my roommate and then headed out to the Farmer's Market to pick up my usual weekly staples, bread, salad and apples. The guy that I usually buy my free range eggs from had duck eggs, which is something I've wanted to try for awhile so I picked up a few of those. I really like trying out new things at the farmer's markets. In California, I got into cooking fish that way-- there was a guy I'd buy fresh fish from every week and it was how I got my first taste of sand dabs, sablefish and squid. Here in Ithaca, I've been experimenting with different varieties of buffalo (from steak to heart to sausage though I have not yet been brave enough to try tongue) as there is a nearby buffalo farm that sells meat at the farmer's market.

On the way home from the farmer's market, driving up Stone Quarry road, a crow-sized bird with flashes of black and white on its wings flew across the road in front of me. I slowed down, turned my head and saw the unmistakable shock of red feathers on the bird as it landed on a tree trunk-- a pileated woodpecker! That makes the third time I have seen a pileated woodpecker in my life, the other two were in Maryland two summers ago.

In the afternoon, I went on a four plus mile hike in Robert H. Treman state park. I stupidly decided not to take my camera because I didn't want to slow down my roommate by taking a ton of pictures. We hiked up to Lucifer falls, which is quite an uphill at the end, and then back down. Although I didn't take photos, you can find plenty of photos of the falls on the internet if you're curious about what it looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment