is the name of the book I am reading by Jane Kirkpatrick. I think it is my favorite book of the year. The back cover summarizes, "Based on historical characters and events, Love To Water My Soul recounts the dramatic story of an abandoned white child rescued by Indians. Among Oregon's Paiute people, Shell Flower seeks love and a place of belonging... only to be cast away from her home."
Describing her work, the main character says:
"It is not easily described. I find pleasure in making the calves stand firm after a bout with scours or stopping a cat's cough or relieving a horse's bellyache."
And yet there is so much more to it than that, but of course it is icing on the cake that she has veterinary predilections.
If you're going to read this book, I highly recommend first reading Jane Kirkpatrick's _A Sweetness To The Soul_ and also Sarah Winnemucca's _Life Among The Piutes_.
Monday, May 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am ashamed to say I am still working "A Sweetness to the Soul', again, I am having trouble reading....
ReplyDelete