
It was perfect weather this weekend again. I think it should be considered a sin if you do not spend as much time as possible outside on a weekend like this. I spent quite a bit of time studying outside and took my camera everywhere with me. Below is some typical Ithaca scenery at dusk:


I also spent some time Sunday visiting a nearby farm to castrate piglets, deworm alpacas and socialize with my classmates and the owners of the farm. A good time was had by all.


At my pet sitting job there was a very inquisitive fawn who seemed to want to know what I was all about. There is a huge problem with the overpopulation of deer in Ithaca (and most of New York state) and I don't generally stop to fawn over them but this one's misplaced curiosity did seem remarkable.

Finally, on Sunday I went on a long walk with some of my classmates to re-trace the steps of our poisonous plants walk that we took on Tuesday morning. I saw the most amazing oak tree, so big it didn't fit in my camera frame. I also enjoyed getting to use the close-up function on my new camera from my dad to take photos of flowers.

Below: Touch-me-not!


Pokeberry:

This was their example of a foxtail. None of my classmates could figure out how it could embed itself in a dog and travel through the flesh. Not exactly what the foxtails I saw in California looked like. I did tell my classmates I had seen them in every orifice and body part over the years but they seemed skeptical that a plant could burrow through tissue...

I forget what this one is called...

Castor bean.

Milkweed close-up, I believe that is an egg laid by a butterfly! (Thanks SyracuseSurrogate parents for helping to hone my eyes for these things).

Later I saw a monarch resting on some corn.

I believe this is a butterfly belonging to the fritillary family.

And my roommate's daughter found another neat bug, a small, almost translucent grasshopper of some kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment