Saturday, August 14, 2010

Welcome To Clinics: It's NOT Personal

I'm nearing the end of my emergency rotation shift. Before I even started, I was briefed by one of my classmates who had done the emergency rotation earlier in the summer. His advice, "Don't take anything personally." Amen. My new motto for clinics is, "It's NOT Personal."

I think I did pretty well not taking anything personally up until today. Maybe it's because it's my second to last day and I'm tired. Maybe it is because all hell just broke loose and we got in a bunch of patients at once. I don't know.

I did see a bunch more interesting cases and some more "routine" type emergencies such as:
allergic reaction
blocked cat
more lacerations

Some of the interesting cases:
A dog with a foreign body that perforated and had most of its intestines removed but did remarkably well following surgery only to perforate again the following day. Very sad.

A dog with regurgitation that is likely focal myasthenia gravis.

A complicated post-op sepsis.

I wish I had had time to write more about this rotation but it just flew by and I had so little time to sleep to start. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. U are SO right, being at the bottom of the heap stinks, but look, now u are already a 2nd yr student!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clinics can be rough. But hang in there, everyone goes through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete