Sunday, September 5, 2010

All Of A Sudden It's Fall

All of a sudden it's fall. Just like that, overnight, on labor day weekend the weather changed from downright hot to having a cool, crisp fall nip in the air and the beginning of the moist dirt smell of falling leaves. I was loving the summer weather, but fall is quite nice too. On Saturday I went for a lovely bike ride on my new bike, a hybrid that I purchased off of Craigslist. The corn is much taller than me now (above). My bike ride took me through some beautiful, though relatively deserted, countryside. There were farms in the distance (below):

And when I came upon the few scattered houses, they were often beautiful in a rustic way that reminds me of old Deerfield, MA, near where I went to college:


I ended my ride coasting down Ellis Hollow into the sunset. Ithaca is quite bike friendly, as you can see from the caution, watch for bikes sign!

I also spent some time outside studying in the glider:


I've been letting my cats out in the small enclosed side yard area off my private entrance. I didn't think they would be able to catch anything in such a small space but Simon surprised me by killing a shrew that ventured out from under the stone steps. I was horrified. Luckily, he killed it under a minute and a half so at least it was a quick death for the shrew. I guess they are extra vulnerable lacking eyes...



Above: Simon carrying his kill in his mouth. He played with it for hours and finally deposited it in my sandal of all places. Yuck!

I tried to show IntrepidHomeImprovementMom the shrew but she was busy cooking an amazing arugla and tomato pesto pasta sauce and was grossed out. I forget that she isn't a vet student and doesn't want to look at dead things while she is eating.

Below: Another amazing farmer's market dinner, this time prepared by IntrepidHomeImprovementMom:

1 comment: