Above: I am semi-successfully restraining my sheep. Key aspects of restraint-- keep the head pointed up and if possible back the rear end into a corner.
Below: Me getting taken for a ride on the same sheep.
My hair was driving me crazy in the lab but I resisted brushing it out of my face because this herd is known to carry orf, which is a zoonotic virus that causes nasty skin sores in people. So I'm wearing gloves and avoided touching my face. Less likely is the risk of Q fever, and since these are older animals, there is a decreased risk of cryptosporidiosis.
Overall, sheep handling was a lot of fun, if a bit intimidating. The sheep all outweighed me and were stronger than me, so I got thrown around a fair bit but I think that is to be expected even with more experience. My first sheep must have sensed I was hesitant because she reared up like a horse twice and dragged me all over. Once I finally gained some confidence and learned to straddle the sheep high up, almost over the neck, things got easier. But then a stray sheep decided to use me as a platform to get over the fence and springboarded off my back. I didn't even see it coming!
Not only did I restrain, but I got practice evaluating body condition, mucous membrane color, drawing blood, giving vaccines and trimming hooves.
Next up: cows!
Friday, September 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment