Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pre-Exam Drudgery

I've been studying since noon, it is now past 5 pm. I'm about to eat dinner and then head into school to meet up with a classmate to study for a few more hours.

I'm tired of studying. On the up side, I got to spend the afternoon at home curled up with my cats.

On the down side, I have a stack of flashcards a foot thick.

I'm busy re-learning all my large animal terminology that I once memorized for tech school and then forgot. Wether is a castrated adult male goat. Farrowing is when a pig gives birth. Etc.

I'm also reviewing all my histology. From Peyer's patches in the ileum to arcuate arteries in the kidney.

Last night I did get a bit of a break. Where was I last night? On the necropsy floor. I like necropsy. It's interesting. It's also a break from spending every evening studying.

Back to the grindstone.

My first exam is Friday. I then have exams the following Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

There are moments when it is grey and rainy and I have been studying all day when I wonder why I didn't choose to go to a vet school in a warm, sunny location. Or a vet school that gives multiple choice exams (seems like they all do except for Cornell).

Instead I am about to experience one of the most grueling and infamous exam periods of any vet school in the country.

Addendum: My favorite word of the evening-- 'British term for a yearling sheep of either sex.' You guessed correctly if you guessed HOGGET. Uh huh.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, com'n, multiple choice exams are for losers. You know you'd be disappointed in your vet school experience if it didn't involve a monstrous exam looming up ahead, one that you could worry about for months before the semester even started :) I do not ask my vet multiple choice questions about my dogs, so I'm glad to know you'll be able actually craft your own answers instead of checking off canned ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, right, I guessed that (NOT), good luck with your exams (although I know u don't need it!)

    ReplyDelete