Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I'm Going To Nevada With Rural Area Veterinary Services

On a day when it feels like my world is ending, it's grey, snowing, and I've spent almost the entire day sitting at home studying minutiae that isn't falling into place for me...

I get an email with a ray of sunshine. I got accepted to go on a RAVS trip to Nevada in March. I'll be working with a team of veterinarians, veterinary students and veterinary technicians to provide free veterinary care to pets on Native American reservations.

I can't believe I got picked.

I have one week to respond. I will think it over, but I think this is a go. Gets me out of Ithaca in the snowy spring and gets me going someplace I've never been before and working with people I've never met. Exciting.

Please G-d, just let enough of this cell-signaling, apoptosis and necrosis pathway stuff sink into my head for me to not be a total failure on my exam on Friday.

If I can only hang onto the feeling of hope for the future.

Getting this email makes me so happy I want to sing, so I put on one of my favorite songs to sing along to (only it makes me homesick for California and my friend LaMexicana who also loves Juanes and was surprised to hear me listening to him, white girl that I am)

A Dios Le Pido
I ask of G-d

Que mis ojos se despiertan con la luz de tu mirada yo
That my eyes wake up to the light of your gaze I
a Dios le pido
ask of G-d
Que mi madre no se muera y que mi padre me
That my mother doesn't die and that my father
recuerde a Dios le pido
remembers me I ask of G-d
Que tu quedes a mi lado y que mas nunca te me vayas
That you stay by my side and never again leave me
mi vida a Dios le pido
my life I ask of G-d
Que mi alma no descanse cuando de amarte se trate
That my soul never rests when it comes to loving you
mi cielo a Dios le pido
my sky I ask of G-d
Por los dias que me quedan y las noches que aun no
For those days that I have left and the nights yet to
llegan yo a Dios le pido
arrive I ask of G-d
Por los hijos de mis hijos y los hijos de tus hijos a
For the children of my children and the children of your children
Dios le pido
I ask of G-d
Que mi pueblo no derrame tante sangre y se levante
that my village doesn't shed so much blood and that will rise again
mi gente a Dios le pido
my people I ask of G-d
Que mi alma no descanse cuando de amarte se trate
that my soul never rests when it comes to loving you
mi cielo a Dios le pido
my sky I ask of G-d

Un segundo mas de vida para darte y a tu lado para
One more second of life to give to you and by your side
siempre yo quedarme
to stay forever
Un segundo mas de vida para darte y mi corazon
One second more of life to give to you my heart
entero entregarte
delivered whole
Un segundo mas de vida yo a Dios le pido
One second more of life I ask of G-d

Y que si me muero sea de amor
And if I die let if be because of love
y si me enamoro se de vos
and if I fall in love may it be with you
y que de tu voz se este corazon
and that of your voice this heart can be
todos los dias a Dios le pido
every day I ask of G-d

1 comment: