I'm back, but none the wiser. I find that I know a lot of useless information:
- When I saw a logo with a woodchuck, I thought of what lesions from hepatitis and lymphoma look like on necropsy of a woodchuck. How's that? Cornell has a breeding colony of captive woodchucks that they use for research (apparently a good animal model of hepatitis?)
- When merle coat color in dogs came up, I knew that it arises from a SINE_Cf insertion.
- When a melanoma in a grey horse was mentioned I thought of the connection between grey coat color and the eventuality of developing melanomas and knew that both grey coat color and melanomas also result from a specific insertion (read more here).
- When my dad mentioned an epidemiological study on statins to me on, I immediately thought of how statins are contraindicated during pregnancy based on the discovery (by Cornell veterinarians) that Veratrum californicum is the cause of cyclopia in ewes that ingested it around the second week of gestation. The biological mechanism underlying the teratogenicity of Veratrum has to do with hedgehog and patched signaling and cholesterol hence the concern that statins would also be teratogenic.
- Perhaps most disturbing of all, while watching a TV documentary on Jack the Ripper (article here), I understood why the coroner estimated that it took at least fifteen minutes for Jack the Ripper to severely mutilate his victims' bodies. It's not that easy to cut up a dead body. It takes skill. Which is perhaps why profilers also suggest that Jack the Ripper knew some basic anatomy and perhaps worked in a mortuary. Kind of disturbing that I followed all the profilers' thought processes. If you've never cut up a large dead body (I'm thinking alpaca, horse or cow) then you don't know what hard work you're in for. You have to repeatedly sharpen your knife with that kind of sustained effort (which is another reason the profilers suspect Jack worked in a mortuary-- he'd have access to the kind of instruments needed to quickly and effectively disfigure a body).
So now I always associate grading exams with the word "post-mortem." The problem with Cornell is the time it takes them to do a post-mortem is maddeningly long. I took a midterm at the beginning of December. I will not get it back until I return to school in January. Given that this waiting game makes me extremely anxious, I decided to institute some ground rules for myself to help manage this anxiety. Rule one: do not look up answers after leaving the exam. I can often recall almost every question on an exam just after finishing and would look up ones I was unsure of. This only heightened my anxiety when looking up something made me realize I got that question wrong, especially if I realized I had gotten several questions wrong. Rule two: do not, DO NOT, think about the exam. At all (if possible). Forcing myself to stop thinking about the exam when I find myself worrying about my grade also helps.
you were REALLY lucky, I'm glad u made it to California, enjoy your stay!
ReplyDeleteUgh, tell me about it! I just realized that our grades for this semester (and we usually don't get finals grades back until AFTER our semester grades are posted) aren't even due until three days after next semester begins! What the heck?
ReplyDeleteDoes writing about not thinking about the exam on your blog count as thinking about the exam? Glad you're in CA, enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteAfter vet school you will find it's hard to have a conversation with "regular" people!
ReplyDelete