
Might as well start with flora, though I am personally more into fauna. No idea what these flowering plants are. Statistically, they are most likely to be non-natives.


This last one is bougainvillea, that much I do know.

And now for some wild donkeys:



And some other domestics running loose:

There were chickens and roosters everywhere-- on the streets in Cruz Bay, picking at crumbs under our table at the cafe in Mongoose Junction. And as I expected, there were stray cats. But not that many and they seemed well cared for, spayed and neutered and fed by the restaurants. I'm sure they are not kind to the wildlife, but I was pleased to find so few of them and that they were in good condition.

My personal favorite series of shots was of a pelican on the beach at Cinnamon bay:



And then I also had this fun shot of a pelican about to plunge into the ocean at Leinmeister bay:

There were plenty of insects and spiders:


And a large number of photos of fascinating creatures that I took in poor light; deer:

Iguana climbing a tree (I was amazed how quickly they can ascend):

Land crab that wouldn't stay still:

Bat (fruit bat?) that came out looking mostly like a dark leaf though I think I can see wings and a head if I squint just right:


And my best nighttime photo, at close range with flash, not sure if this is a young iguana or not:

But the hardest to capture of all were the creatures I saw underwater. Here are some fish in very shallow water. There are so many that they make the water look dark!




And most special is the sea turtle that I got to snorkel with though I have no photo:

For completeness's sake there is also the hermit crab and brown booby featured on my previous blog posts. And not photographed, the mongoose I saw and frigate birds. The mongoose have decimated the iguanas. Interestingly, the only mammals native to these islands are the bats!
No comments:
Post a Comment