Thursday, April 29, 2010

Feeling Lucky To Be In Vet School: Fish Lecture

I got to go to a really neat lecture last night that made me feel lucky to be in vet school. The lecture was titled "Aquatic Pet Cases Important For All Vets To Know" and was given by a local veterinarian from Buffalo, Dr. Helen Roberts. She owns an exotic practice and sees many clients with pet fish. She also writes extensively on the subject and is involved in all aspects of pet fish medicine.

I feel lucky to be part of a profession that is so diverse. I don't know if I will ever treat pet fish, but this lecture definitely piqued my interest and made me want to learn more about fish anatomy and medicine (both of which are covered in separate distribution courses offered during the winter that I may elect to take).

It's just neat to know that I could treat anything from a pet fish to an Amazon parrot as a veterinarian (if I chose to develop expertise in those areas).

Here are a few interesting points that I gleaned from her lecture:
  • Water quality evaluation is part of the minimum database for fish.
  • Poor water quality is the most common stressor of fish and kills more fish than infectious diseases
  • How long has the pond been around is an important question to ask when treating fish who live in ponds.
  • Signs of parasites include weight loss, abdominal distension and buoyancy disorders.
  • Fluorescin dye can be used to show superficial ulcers on the skin of fish.
  • You can do a neurological exam on a fish.

1 comment: