Saturday, June 20, 2009

Snow In Spring

I woke up the other morning to find that it had snowed. There was a fine sprinkling of white covering the lawn. Later that afternoon, when I pulled into the parking lot, it was still snowing (see above)!

And the view across the street:


But on closer inspection, it was not actually snow (see below), but some white fluffy seeds that are falling off the trees around here and swirling in the wind just like snow! Bet I had ya fooled!!!
For me it was one more reminder that IT WILL SNOW, unlike sunny San Jose, California.
And today is the first official day of summer, but I took these photos last weekend and back then it was still spring, well maybe not mentally, but locals were quick to remind me that summer had not officially started!

Extra credit for anyone who can correctly identify the tree that sheds 'snow.' I'm guessing it's not a native tree but I don't know. Maybe my SurrogateSyracuseEnvironmentalParents can help out here?

2 comments:

  1. It may be from cottonwood trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The consensus seems to be cottonwood. If it is an Eastern cottonwood then it is native and also a host plant for several species of butterflies and moths. If it is a black poplar it is a non-native, though this seems less likely than the native poplar species. Cool. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete