Last night volunteering at the low-income clinic in Ithaca was one of those experiences. I realized how much I have. And it made me wonder unanswerable questions like, "Why them and not me? Why do I have so much and other so little? Why is it that some people are born into families with resources and others not?" And the biggest one of all, the underlying mystery, "Why isn't life fair?"
Everyone who comes to that clinic is indigent. Struggling to make ends meet and care for their pets.
It was clear how much every single client loved his or her pet. Many of them waited for hours in the heat to be seen.
It was also clear how much many of these people were struggling, unable to afford anything more than the most basic care for their pets. (Though some found ways. It makes me think of a time, years ago in the emergency clinic, when a young women came in with a chihuahua with head trauma and pawned her wedding ring in order to pay the bill).
It was both uplifting and heartbreaking. I felt good being there, yet I wanted to be able to do more.
The best part for me was how much the kids wanted to be involved with their pets' care and how they told me all kinds of things about their pets and lives, eager for my attention.
Back in San Francisco, a veterinarian named Dr Ilana Struble formed an organization to provide veterinary care for homeless people's pets called Vet SOS. In an article from SFgate, Struble says:
"I see it as my responsibility, because trying to take better care of their pets is often their biggest incentive to get off the streets."
"As a vet, I understand the human-animal bond. These animals are emotional support and a catalyst for human interaction, especially for those who might avoid interacting with anyone. With all the drugs, violence and stress of being homeless, we've seen that people living on the streets with pet companions fare better."
Struble received the Bay area Jefferson award for her work. As if that isn't enough, Struble is also involved in LGVMA, the lesbian and gay veterinary medical association (also, I believe, based out of San Francisco). Her partner, Michelle McAnanama, works in the human medical field.
LGVMA offers a student scholarship for veterinary students who demonstrate:
- Recognition of the importance of the human-animal bond
- Commitment to improving the environment of and level of veterinary care in all communities, including (but not limited to) lesbian and gay pet owners and pet owners with immunosuppressive conditions including HIV/AIDS
- Commitment to improving the educational environment of veterinary students and to advancing equality among all groups of veterinarians
- Outstanding community and/or university service
- Commitment to the role of veterinary medicine in public health programs and issues of public policy
I'm glad that both Cornell and LGVMA encourages students to give back to their communities.
Good for you. It is encouraging to see how much these people with so little care for their four leggeded
ReplyDelete