Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chicken Roe

Today in avian anatomy we finally got to the part of the bird that has most intrigued me since we first started dissection-- the reproductive system. How birds lay eggs is so fascinating. I'll have to update this post later with more information.

In birds, the right ovary typically atrophies leaving behind just a left ovary. The ovary looks to me a bit like a cluster of pomegranate seeds buried underneath a cluster of yellow yolk grapes of various sizes. I'd like to write a poem about it but haven't quite figured one out yet.

One of my dissection partners commented today, 'Why don't we have chicken roe?' All the tiny developing oocytes look a lot like red fish roe (as well as like pomegranate seeds). I guess you could have chicken roe. That would definitely be a daring item to put on a menu. Perhaps I'll try it sometime if I buy a whole chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment