Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Long Overdue Update

So, I've been quite delinquent in writing. I just haven't made time for it. Here's a brief update on what I've been up to:
  • I went back to California over break and worked most of the time. I really enjoyed working. The vets let me suture up the simple lacerations and I got to scrub in on a simple enterotomy. I also did my first mouth to nose resuscitation on a newborn chihuahua born by C-section that just wouldn't breath. It was very rewarding to see this white as a ghost little puppy go from being limp and lifeless to pink and crying. I've never gotten to resuscitate a puppy before because I've always been the anesthetist for C-sections on my shift.
  • I returned to Ithaca and spent a dreary week working in radiology.
  • I went to Florida with my mom for a lovely, warm, sunny vacation where I had the most amazing day of birding at Black Point Drive that I have had in years. Will try to post photos soon.
  • I went to North Carolina and got a chance to catch up with EB, D and Ianite.
  • I came back and spent a long time agonizing over distribution classes. In the end I chose to take:
  1. Clinical pathology (I love it. Perhaps I am destined to become a clinical pathologist?)
  2. Management of Fluid and Electrolyte Disorders
  3. Antimicrobials
  4. Avian Anatomy
  5. Emerging Infectious Diseases
  6. Literature of Natural History (with Dr. Evans who co-wrote Little Miller's Anatomy book)
  7. Managment of Captive Native Wildlife
  8. Student Rounds in Radiology
  9. Pet Loss Support Hotline
Sadly, I could not fit in toxicology, conservation medicine, diseases of birds or comparative anatomy. Those will have to wait for my next distribution period. Something to look forward to.

  • Since I've been back in Ithaca we have been hammered by a series of fierce winter storms. We are just outside the snow belt, so even though we are an hour from Syracuse, we have gotten much less snow than them and much less than Connecticut and Massachusetts. It still seems like a lot to me, enough that I'm shoveling the driveway several times a day and walking to school sometimes because conditions are so bad. At least it's good exercise, which improves my mood tremendously.

1 comment:

  1. I loved clin path too. If I had been able to stomach more school I may have done a residency.

    ReplyDelete