I arrived in Ithaca one month ago. Exhausted and overwhelmed were the two best adjectives to describe me. A bit fearful. The excitement of getting into vet school had long ago worn off.
My feelings of foreboding became feelings of despair as it proceeded to rain just about every single day in June. I fought off a feeling of panic that I would be unable to be happy someplace so dreary. And then, a few days ago, the sun came out and I breathed a sigh of relief. I looked around and suddenly things didn't look so bad.
I finally feel a sense of familiarity. I can find my way around most of the time, even without my GPS. I expect it to be grey and rainy when I wake up in the morning and delight on those rare mornings when it isn't rather than bemoan those that are. I know the people in my lab. I even kind of know what I'm doing in the lab.
I am so thankful for all the support everyone has given me-- DashingBoiSuperTech calling during her finals, Dr Cool calling to say hi, LaMexicana's words of encouragement, Dr PullMyLeg, Eagle Eyes, EB, D, SurrogateSyracuseEnvironmentalParents, Dr E and Dr Perceptive, my family--both nuclear and extended.
It's more than just comforting to hear a familiar voice in an unfamiliar place, it's a hand reaching across the distance to help and also a reminder that there is a whole big world out there beyond the rainy, grey streets of Ithaca, a world that may seem far away when I am holed up in my lab or in the library, but a very bright and large world that I will return to one day when my studies are done and for visits in the meantime.
Monday, June 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
atta girl!!
ReplyDelete