Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Breathtaking Beauty Of Snowflakes

Lying on my night stand is _Ken Libbrecht's Field Guide To Snowflakes_, which includes sections such as 'The Morphology Diagram' and 'Snowflake Classification.' If you are surprised to find out there is such a book, so was I! I came across his work when I was perusing the winter 2010 copy of The American Scholar at the coffee stand in the vet school and came across the title "Dead Serious and Yet Flaky.." It turned out to be an article on Kenneth Libbrecht, a physicist at Caltech who studies snowflakes (I think it would be more accurate to say he has a _passion_ for snowflakes). His wife is also interested in snowflakes and has taken some amazing photos, which you can find, along with other, at snowcrystals.com:


If I had more time I would have plenty of opportunity to study snowflakes as it snowed over six inches here today. I would enjoy it more too if it did not make my commute to and from school nearly impossibe-- there is minimal ploughing done in Ithaca it seems. Definitely plenty of snowflakes, not enough road though!


1 comment:

  1. read all your recent blogs since I have been in Michigan, moocho interesting, I thought your comment on the brain surgery for idiots was hilarious! more great pictures from your trip.

    ReplyDelete