Friday, February 5, 2010

The Complete Idiot's Guide To Brain Surgery-- Veterinary Edition

This morning in neuroanatomy my professor put up an image of _The Complete Idiot's Guide To Brain Surgery_ and then announced that they would shortly be coming out with a veterinary edition in case any of us wanted to attempt to remove some brain tumors in our general practices. There was dead silence. And then I said, "Are you joking?" And the entire class and professor laughed at me. I felt very silly. I sit in the front row too in that class, so I'm rather conspicuous. Sometimes I wish I sat in the back and kept my mouth shut.

Meanwhile, there isn't even a _Complete Idiot's Guide To Brain Surgery_ in humans (it's a spoof). So now I'm really curious to know where she got the image. Did she photoshop it or get it off an internet site I can't find? (Addendum: She's not sure where she found the image, but she sent it to me and I got permission from its creator to use it).

Here are some choice quotations from neuroanatomy class today, "The brain in real life is like a poorly done jello mold-- sagging if left just by itself but it is floating in a cushion of CSF."

And then from our lab guide: "If your half brain is cut off midline you may have trouble seeing the 3rd ventricle since it is so narrow. If you have more than half a brain, try to find the 3rd ventricle with a probe via the mesencephalic aqueduct. If you have less than half a brain:), try to find a good example on another brain."

It's good to have some humor about these things.

Lastly, I noticed today that the sign on the door to our wetlab where we hold neuroanatomy gross lab says: "No Food! No Drinks! This is a pathogenic lab where people work with gross stuff." Uh huh.

1 comment: