Environmental Health and Safety monitors several students on the day we open the thorax and they chose me as one of the students to monitor. They placed two badges on me, one for my overall exposure and one for my acute exposure opening the thorax (a 15 minute window). I was the one cutting the ribs when all the formaldehyde in the chest gushed out and ran all over my boots and the floor, making my nose sting as if I had just eaten horseradish and my eyes water. I was very surprised when EH&S told me my acute exposure was below the detectable level! I asked if they were sure the badges were working and they said yes, someone else in the group had had significant exposure while opening a thorax. Interesting. I have to check back later if I want to find out my overall laboratory exposure-- I imagine that one must have registered.
We managed to dissipate some of the odor and unpleasant effects by hosing down our cadaver. And the minute I got home, I changed out of my clothes and took a bath. But this is one of the downsides of vet school that doesn't get much attention-- the exposure to formaldehyde and other toxic, carcinogenic chemicals in gross anatomy laboratory.
No comments:
Post a Comment