Friday, February 19, 2010

Some Thoughts On Education

I'm reading a booklet called _Personal Reflections Of The Shoshone-Paiute-Washo_ published by the Inter-Tribal Council of Nevada in 1974. I'm reading it ostensibly to prepare for my upcoming RAVS trip to Nevada but also just because I find it interesting.

There's a chapter lamenting the education available on reservations. I found this quote (from Walter Voorhees) particularly interesting:
To say we educate 25% of our people is stretching the point. The way people pollute the air, water and the land and destroy our resources, leads one to wonder whether we have educated anyone.
It definitely made me pause and think for a second about what makes a good education. I've learned a lot here, but I can't say that there is an emphasis on protecting our environment or sustainable living. Heck, I know a lot of our farming practices are not sustainable.

I wonder what my education would look like if it had a more environmental slant to it. I'm glad I'm reading this booklet because it reminds me to keep that perspective in mind even when it is not required of me.

1 comment:

  1. read all your most recent blogs, trying to keep up to date, hope your eye is better. glad your stress level is down.

    ReplyDelete